Sunday, January 25, 2009

Twas The Night Before Classes

I learned a very important lesson last night. The brown line that takes me to the "el" to get home from Second City stops running at one in the morning. They don't care if it's a twelve block walk to the next stop and and it's so cold your blood is frozen. Casey, Abhi, and I went to see a couple of late night shows at The Second City, only to find that we had no way home when we got to the "el" station. We ended up having to hail a cab, further cementing in my mind that Chicago might actually be somewhere near Russia. No Communications degree could help the cab driver and I reach an agreement as to where I lived. Thank God I'm a master of charades.

The shows themselves were, well, they were. Hmmm. The first show cost 5 bucks, and was not a regular Second City show, I might add. It was in the building, but not one of their casts. The premise sounded good. Four guys were putting on a sketch show, but they had gotten a government bailout to do so, so they had to follow a list of crazy arbitrary rules from the government. The audience was given 3-D glasses for the last sketch, but Casey and I decided to wear them the whole time to make the show more bearable. At least that way, the stage had a fun rainbow glow. It gave us both a whole new level of confidence, knowing that we could have walked up there and done a few good jazz squares, and it would have been an infinitely better show. The second show was a free improv set with a Second City cast. It was fabulous. I want to be one of them so bad.

Tomorrow, I start classes. I'm so excited. Tomorrow is the first step to what will hopefully become a long and fulfilling career. And if I don't make it, then no one can say I didn't try. But I really hope I do, since as I see it, my other choices are Emu Jockey or Hog Caller. Wish me luck! Or rather, wish me leg breakage! Keep on truckin'!

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you massive breakage! This is going to be such a cool semester for you, Christi. Knock 'em dead!

    ReplyDelete