Friday, January 23, 2009

Free Food...How Jewish of Me

Hey all! I'm writing this, only because I promised to do so. Unfortunately, I don't have any actual good news to report. First of all, I have to make a correction from my last post. The big 50th Anniversary celebration is going to be this year but not until December. *My head sinks in sad defeat.* However, Ann Libra, a producer at Second City and one of my professors said they have alumni periodically stop in, so it wouldn't be unusual for someone big to drop by. She knows a lot of inside information. Apparently, Bonnie Hunt is an unbelievable *ahem* "witch" and Steve Carell was a huge tool, as he was involved in a love square for awhile. Yup. Dating three women at the same time. May be he should star in "The Brothel" instead of "The Office." She also used to be roommates with Stephen Colbert who had originally planned to be a carpenter after college. He built several futons in her basement...poorly. They promptly fell apart and he resorted to a life of comedy.

Orientation was actually quite boring, because it was our Columbia College orientation. The specific Second City orientation is on Monday. The tour felt useless. I just don't see me riding the "L" for a half hour to a creepy area of downtown to use a computer lab. I got my student ID and at least I don't look like a fat clown this time. (I hope the lady at the DMV doesn't get into headshot photography any time soon.) They served us boxed lunches that were totally decent, and there were some left over so Casey and I each took a couple. Unfortunately, the group hung our afterwards, so we carried armloads of boxed lunches through Chicago. We stopped by a fellow classmates apartment to get a bag. But then I looked super cool walking through downtown Chicago with a giant trashbag. When people stared at me on the train I would just lean over to Casey and whisper, "I just hope the head doesn't roll out."

I got to meet Sheldon Patinkin today, one of the founders of Second City. I was sitting in the presence of greatness; tiny, frail greatness that looked like it might tip over if you breathed on him too hard. It was very cool, nonetheless. Monday's the really big day. Day one of Second City. I. Can't. Wait.

1 comment:

  1. If you click on "view my complete profile", it says to click for a full-size picture. I thought that WAS full-size...

    ReplyDelete