Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Came For The Comedy...But Staying For The Pizza

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I'm finally here!! And by "here" I mean Chicago, the land of big dreams and deep dish pizza. I'm here for both. As I'm sure you know, since you've been interested enough to check this out, I'm here for the semester to study comedy with The Second City. This whole adventure has not started off easy, from difficulty getting consortium to losing my first apartment two days before I was to move in. Somehow, everthing finally fell into place and I've been living in Chicago for a little over a week. I'm even finding my way around, which is impressive for someone who typically gets lost backing out of the driveway. The only time I was truly lost was when I was trying to pick up Brice from the train station when he came to visit. After wandering aimlessly through downtown, in the dark in -8 degrees plus windchill, I accidently got on a bus that took me out of town. As we drove south of Chicago and I could see the cityscape disappearing behind us, I hummed "I Have Confidence" from The Sound of Music to myself and tried desperately not to cry. Or move, lest I flash the wrong gang symbol. I clearly did not belong there. They dropped me off at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. I was able to get on another bus nearby and get back to town, but all in all I ended up being hopelessly lost for about two hours. I have since found the redline "L" stop that takes me right to the station.

My apartment has been great. It's a very small studio, but it suits my purposes and has its own charm. My building is about a hundred years old. David Lepor informed me that that must mean that it's full of ghosts. Luckily electric costs are covered by my rent, because now I have to sleep with the lights on. Thanks, David.

Today, I set up a get together with some of the other students from the program. It was great to meet them, and I really think our group is going to get along well. It turns out, one of the girls lives just down the street from me, which is great, since now we can do a lot of our traveling together. This saves me the money from having to pay some mob family for protection.

I realize this is a long post, but I have over a week to catch up on, and frankly three paragraphs isn't that long, so stop complaining, and just read the dang thing! Anyway, I figured a blog was the best way to keep everyone updated on all my crazy chicago adventures. Please continue reading my blog, as I'm sure wackiness is bound to ensue. Have a lovely day. Keep on truckin'!

1 comment:

  1. I am the first to comment on your blog! Hooray for me!

    Your Uncle Tim

    ReplyDelete