Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mrs. Buttertoast Does Vaudeville

Y'all ready for an update? Well, I sure hope so since you've spent all that time typing in the web address and everything. Thanks for taking time out of your busy life to keep up on my story. I really do appreciate your interest. That said, let's get to the good stuff, the nitty gritty, the nuts and bolts, the green eggs and ham. Hmmm. I think my metaphor got a little off track somewhere in there. Oh well.

So, at the beginning of class this week, I made a puppet for my improv class. I went a little crazy with the craft box and even had a pretty bad crafting wound. I endured an embarrassing defeat in a battle with my hot glue gun. Emphasis on the HOT. Anyway, my eccentric old lady puppet turned out fabulously and everyone loved her. I named her, Mrs. Buttertoast. That name's probably more funny if you heard the inflection with which I say it. Here's a picture to get the full effect. You can't see her hat very well in this shot, but know it was very cool.

So the other news I promised in my last post was to tell how the Vaudeville show went. Well, my girls, Mary and Casey and I worked on a number Monday night after class that we were all feeling ok, but not great about. So, that night, we texted back and forth and decided to come Tuesday with new ideas. Casey found a great 20's song online, so I bought it and brought it in on my ipod. Together, we wrote this great silent slapstick piece. It was really funny. Today, we all coordinated costumes and performed it for both groups of students and several professors. Everyone loved ours and some said it was the best act. We had such a short amount of time to put it together in, but the finished product was great.

I'm deciding more and more that I really enjoy the physical comedy. Amy Poehler once said, "Vanity is the death of comedy." I'm finding that to be very true. Once I was able to stop thinking about whether or not my hair was getting messed up, or if I looked fat, rolling around in the fetal postion, I've found I'm pretty good at physical comedy. I may not be Jim Carey yet, but dang it all, I'm trying.

Also, for you praying folk out there, pray that I find a job. I can't stay here this summer unless I can find a way to make rent. If I can't get a job, I'll have to sell eggs and plasma, and I was hoping to save those for when I need to buy groceries. I applied for another one today, so let's hope I get a call soon. I best be off to write my sketch due tomorrow. I haven't decided yet if it will be about male strippers or a dyslexic kid at a spelling bee. So much to do. Have a lovely day! Keep on truckin'!

4 comments:

  1. I vote for the dyslexic kid at the spelling bee. So much potential!!! And tell Mrs. Buttertoast that I'm simply DIEing to meet her! I love her earrings! And I'd like to see you, too. That is, if you haven't shrunk away to nothing. I'll bring a magnifying glass the next time I come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! It's so fun to hear about you being in your element :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey look it's letting me post! YAYYYY :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!!!...did it make you get an account or just comment as a guest?

    ReplyDelete