Monday, February 23, 2009

Boxers Or Briefs: The Musical

My last post was February 16?! Holy crap! Where does the time go? Oh yeah, it slips away only to be forgotten, taking with it the memories of our youth. By that, I mean to say, sorry it's been awhile. I know reading my posts is one of the few things getting you through, day to day, through the boring monotony that is your life. I jest, of course. My post the the ONLY thing getting you through.

Class update first. Everything is going quite well. I'm really loving writing, and the whole class seemed to really like my last sketch. I knew I could write comedy, but I'm so excited to get introduced to a whole new world, as this is my first experience in sketch writing. Physical/Vocal trainging is fun as always, doing things such as making machines and monsters with my ensemble. It sounds crazy, but trust me; it's worth the $9000+ tuition. Acting is proving to be the most difficult at the moment, as we are memorizing classic Second City scripts. I enjoy memorization about as much as I enjoy being buried alive in a coffin full of spiders. Oh my gosh. Even typing out that sentence brought me close to tears. I beg of you; never bury me alive in a coffin full of spiders, and if you ever get the urge, just take me out for ice cream instead. That'll teach me. Anyway, my scenes are great, but I'm so scared of messing up. All I want to do is impress Gellman, and I'm afraid if I forget a line, he'll....he'll....well, he'll probably do the coffin and spider thing.

As I mentioned in my last post, Norm promised to help me learn to talk slower. He taught me a couple of tricks, but I'm still learning how to use them, so don't expect me to speak like a normal person next time you talk to me. Rome wasn't built in a day, and even if it was, talking slower is even harder than that, so give me a break. Another trick I learned was to practice talking biting down lengthwise on a pencil. It makes it harder to articulate. It really does work, but it forces me to talk in a puppet voice and drool on myself, so I won't be doing it on any dates.

I saw the fully improvised musical again, Baby Wants Candy. Tonight they took my title suggestion and performed "Boxers Or Briefs: The Musical." It was seriously hilarious. It was centered around twins, one that single handedly won the war in Iraq and a fat awkward one. They fought evil magazine editors and Paula Dean as she made chocolate-covered deep-fried ribs. A good time was had by all.

This week I have another big performance piece, my silent film scene. My partners and I are doing a fun, mistaken identity scene, where merriment and slapstick will ensue. Should be a good time. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I suppose I should go work on my lines, amongst other homework. I have to use household props to develop three characters. I love that I can even call that homework. This truly is a wonderful place. Have a lovely day. Keep on truckin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment