Friday, April 3, 2009

With A Little Help From My Friends...Ben and Jerry

Hey all! So, I've just been reading my past blog entries and feeling all sentimental about how far I've come in this experience. I'd honestly forgotten how scary the beginning of this adventure had been for me, but it makes me so proud that it all feels so easy now. I guess I'll mention that I wasn't just going through old posts because I'm so narcissistic that I love to read my own writing, however, I am and I do. I'm starting to write a play, based a great deal on my Chicago experience. It won't be my exact story or anything, but I'm hoping to include many of my actual events. This is all contingent on whether or not I can tear myself away from hulu.com long enough to get any writing accomplished.

This week, the musical director that I had my improv workshop with came by to help us work on our songs for our end of semester showcase. I think we have some really great stuff. I'd tell you, but I don't want to ruin it for those of you that will be at the showcase on May 12th and 13th. Hint, hint. You know what? There's no room for subtlety in this blog! Come to my freakin' showcase! It will be a lovely time, dang it! Don't make me twist your arm! No, seriously. I'm not very strong and you would probably just laugh at me. Anyway, tickets are free but must be reserved, and you can come either day. The tickets will become available this month, but I don't know exactly when yet. I'll let y'all know.

In Gellman's class, we're starting our Neil Simon scenes. I thought it would be a lot easier than the Second City scenes, because I've actually done this scene before. In fact, it's the scene I used to win state in high school. How in the world I thought a scene for Gellman wouldn't break my spirit is beyond me. We started blocking yesterday, and he must have stopped me ten times in four pages of dialogue. I have a lot to work on. It's really hard to hear these things, but I really appreciate how hard he pushes me. It's the only way I'm going to get better. I do know that Gellman likes me, and it helps that I know he only pushes me as hard as he does, because I can take it and he knows I can do better. Nonetheless, I had to be comforted after class by my friends, Ben and Jerry. No, I haven't met cute guys here. Fatty's referring to ice cream.

In history, we're discussing sitcoms. This makes me very happy, because sitcom writing is something I'm looking into as a career choice. My homework for Monday is to pitch an original episode of I Love Lucy. I've been training for this assignment since I was in elementary school. I've seen every episode and can quote about half of them. Hello, friends. I'm your Vitameatavegamin girl! Are you tired, worn down, listless? Do you poop out at parties?... Ok, you get the idea. I don't know what my premise is gonna be yet, but I'm so excited I could poorly re-wallpaper the apartment. I realize that's obscure and doesn't make sense, but I wanted to throw in another reference to cement my superior Lucy knowledge. Don't judge.

I'm off to work on my new play, but I'll be writing again soon. I'll keep you updated on when tickets are available, and Neil Simon scenes, and I may even be awesome enough to let you in on what I pitched for my Lucy episode. Have a lovely day all and enjoy this lovely spring weather...kind of. Keep on truckin'!

1 comment:

  1. How did you find out that Gellman likes you??? Don't you feel special?

    ReplyDelete